This was written on September 6th after the even I have notated actual changes with italic.
Oh man, this place is dusty. It has been several months since I have posted on here. Yet, here I have returned.
Tomorrow is September 7th, 2016 which means it is time for Apple’s See you on the 7th event. Of course, this will be the event where Tim Cook and team reveal the next generation of iPhone. I figured the night before would be a great time to put my two cents in on what I hope the event will show us.
Here we go:
1. Improved front camera 1080p 60fps – With the new apparent camera improvements there is no reason why the front facing camera cannnot be bumped up to 1080p resolution from the current 720p. Vloggers would go nuts for the bumps making the iPhone an ultimate video device.
*Bingo* Apple has improved the iPhone 7 to include a 7MP front facing camera that records at 1080p though no mention as of yet of the frames per second.
2. Apple Pencil support – The Apple Pencil would be an amazing addition to combat Samsungs explosive release on the Note 7 with the ability to create even more while on the go. Perfect for notes or pocket sketches. RIP Moleskine
Not a new feature. Strike one!
3. Water proof – It would drastically help creatives with the ability to create content in any condition, this includes rain. No special cases that reduce audio quality. Nothing causing the screen to be less responsive with layers of plastic on the top.
Apple rated the iPhone 7 as IP67 under IEC standards 60529 which means in English Ingress Protection for 6 rating of solids protections (highest dust resistance) and 8 for water between 15cm and 1 meter depth.
4. 128gb middle storage – Apple releasing devices with 16GB of storage should be dead. Even with a few basic apps 16GB becomes full to quickly. It is a poor user experience when devices cost as much as they do currently. Now the 128GB being the middle ground is perfection. Yes it is to much for most users but that is perfect. Now storage space is no longer a concern when it is time to record a family function they don’t want to forget.
Revealed as 32Gb, 128GB and 256GB
5. Flat black – I see the rumors of a new colors coming with a flat black and piano black killing Space Grey. Gloss black looks amazing though I know I would be constantly cleaning it with my shirt to remove smudges. Flat black is perfect in my book.
Features new color of Jet Black (Gloss) and new black which is flat black I wanted released. Space Grey is dead.
6. Better battery life – I have no complaints with the battery life in my current iPhone 6s Plus. That being said it would be great to make it on the days where I have used my device more to come back with a bit more left in the tank.
iPhone 7 is improved two hours and iPhone 7 + is one hour. I’ll take this as a win.
7. Improved camera with depth of field control – I tweeted earlier last week if Apple adds this feature bokeh will then rule the land. Adding the ability to control depth of field will allow Apple to challenge the large appeal of using a DSLR camera, bokeh. Bokeh is the blurry background effect being a central focus point in a photo. Instagram better brace for the flood.
This is the new feature for the iPhone 7+ dual camera with depth of field and 2x optical zoom then 10x digital zoom. Also RAW photos are now an option for those wanting untouched images.
What do I think of the removal of the headphone jack as rumored by many? Meh. Does not bother me at all currently. I use Bluetooth for listening to music or podcasts. In the car I use the dock connector for charging and music currently as it is. My headphone jack is rarely used anymore. If it is the last thing standing in the way from a thinner iPhone then it can go. I am sure there will be a solution for those wish to still regularly use their 3.5mm hole.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments. I really want to hear your opinion.
I am super impressed with the new offerings Apple has revealed today. (Of course!) Now comes the nerves part of waiting for a new phone to get in my hands!